Shocker: Michael Shannon Playing The Role Of A Douchebag
99 Homes popped up on a quick scan through Amazon Prime instant video and I decided to give this Florida foreclosure nightmare story a whirl. It was an entertaining thriller/drama (more of the latter) focusing on Rick Carver (Michael Shannon), a scummy realtor and the poor sap Dennis Nash (Andrew Garfield) he foreclosed upon who goes on to work for Carver kicking other people out of their homes.
10 Things I Learned Watching '99 Homes'
1. The title makes no sense. They mentioned 100 homes a bunch of times and even mentioned 1,000 homes.
2. When someone kicks you out of your home you can later work for them doing the same thing to other people. When in Rome, I guess.
3. Michael Shannon is a fine actor - one of my favorites. He's best at playing complete assholes. I think General Zod and Richard Kuklinski would have liked Rick Carver.
4. Rick Carver (Shannon) was essentially Freddy Kruger to many residents of Florida.
5. Apparently, it's really easy to forge documents that are accepted in court. Stealing appliances, air conditioners, and pool pumps from hundreds of houses without arousing any suspicion whatsoever is also easy.
6. Realtors are foot soldiers for the bankers that live in ivory towers. They get deep in the muck and have no remorse.
7. Central Florida sucks just as bad in the movies as it does in real life. There's theme parks and a bunch of nothing.
8. Everyone on top is conspiring to destroy everyone on the bottom. In 99 Homes it's certainly a dog-eat-dog world.
9. Police won't shoot a white guy shooting at them, even when the white guy points his rifle directly at them.
10. I still am not a big fan of Andrew Garfield. He's not so bad in this, but his awful turn as Spider-Man will likely never leave me.
99 Homes is an entertaining romp that does a decent job conveying the horror faced by millions of people when the housing bubble burst leading to the Great Recession. It's got a well-defined cabal of bad guys and a protagonist that is incredibly difficult to root for. Feel free to contribute anything you learned from 99 Homes in the comments below.
* Dilution Monster Attack Reported At $HMNY HQ
* Yankees Bold Plan For 'Lazy' Gary Sanchez
* Russian Companies Bid On U.S. Cybersecurity Contracts
* Trump Tweet Leads To Tension With Iran; Media Panics
* Halloween Horror Nights To Add Putin-Inspired 'Haunted House'
* NFLX & DIS Spar For Tim Burton's Child's Play Reboot
* Papa John's Founder Leaves Franchise For NFL Post
* President Trump Announces 'Tariff Force Supreme'
The Valley Report